Balena's mission to unlock the potential of physical computing by removing friction for IoT fleet owners. We believe that edge computing is the next major computing paradigm, and every new computing paradigm needs a scalable development platform to match. We're building that platform with a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications for IoT and the Edge.
Our software platform helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our toolkit ever since. Our core product is the balenaCloud platform, but we also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage. We've also recently released our first hardware product, the balenaFin.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from robotics, drones, smart buildings, 3D printing, agriculture, medicine, and more. Our investors include OpenView, Threshold Ventures, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company We rely on clear communication and the rule of "assume positive intent" to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. As an organization, we have little hierarchy, and organize as needed to build complex features and solve big problems.
ABOUT BEING A CONTENT STRATEGIST AT BALENA
As a content strategist at balena, you’ll be responsible for developing, managing and evolving balena’s content strategy and operations. By partnering closely with internal and external contributors, experts, and designers, you will oversee balena’s efforts to create, deliver, and amplify content that is engaging and meaningful to our audience of developers and IoT fleet owners. You will spearhead the ultimate mission to communicate balena’s products and story to the world in a consistent and authentic voice. Responsibilities include:
- Develop and lead a semi independent content organization, acting as the “Editor in Chief”
- Own the strategy surrounding all publication and content efforts
- Partner with the balena team, including developer advocates,hardware hackers, designers, etc., to create content that will resonate with and inspire the baalena community.
- Create and manage programs for external and community contributionsOversee a master editorial calendar and coordinate content efforts across the organization
- Design and lead the execution of a content distribution and amplification strategy to increase awareness and engagement amongst balena’s target audiences
- Ensure a consistent and authentic voice in design and message across all content
- Develop and experiment with new forms and channels of content (i.e. podcasts, white papers, videos)
- Analyze content performance and feedback across channels and extract insights to communicate with the broader team
- Test and experiment in order to continuously uncover the most impactful and effective strategies as opposed to just implementing a playbook or process
- 5-7 yrs experience creating and managing content strategy in a high growth environment, or equivalent
- Strong project management skills – can effectively leverage resources and people to deliver results
- Highly organized and detail oriented - can keep track of multiple threads and timelines at once without compromising on detail
- Editorial expertise across multiple forms of content including video, blogs, etc
- Journalistic instinct to ask questions and tell a compelling story
- Experience with strategies to amplify content, particularly amongst developer communities
- Analytical mindset and experience testing and measuring the impact of content using analytics tools
- Skilled at learning and communicating technical concepts, and working with an engineering team to create clear and meaningful content
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience creating content for developers and/or highly technical audiences, and for a highly technical product
- Interest in IoT; bonus points if you’ve built an IoT project yourself!
- Strong understanding of content’s role in a SaaS developer platform.
- Links to resources where we can see your past work
Need to have:
Nice to have:
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
ABOUT WORKING AT BALENA
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diverse backgrounds. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather grow than let our assumptions get in our way.
We're delighted to hear about you! Send us your CV, with a focus on what you can bring to the team.