Site Reliability Engineer
Balena's mission to unlock the potential of physical computing by removing friction for IoT fleet owners. We believe that edge computing is the next major computing paradigm, and every new computing paradigm needs a scalable development platform to match. We're building that platform with a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications for IoT and the Edge.
Our software platform helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our toolkit ever since. Our core product is the balenaCloud platform, but we also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage. We've also recently released our first hardware product, the balenaFin.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from robotics, drones, smart buildings, 3D printing, agriculture, medicine, and more. Our investors include OpenView, Threshold Ventures, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company We rely on clear communication and the rule of "assume positive intent" to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. As an organization, we have little hierarchy, and organize as needed to build complex features and solve big problems.
About being a Site Reliability Engineer at Balena
Balena is looking for a Site Reliability engineer to work with the balena core services. Site Reliability engineers at Balena ensure that our platform is available, reliable, and efficient. They develop monitoring solutions, create disaster recovery plans, respond to and investigate incidents, and work closely with the development team to facilitate frictionless deployments to production.
We're a growing company with opportunities to shape the future of our core system architecture and work to solve the good problems associated with scaling. As a company at the forefront of the emerging IoT sector, and one of the very few putting Docker on embedded devices, we move quickly and innovate aggressively to solve our problems in new and interesting ways. This will be a full-time role.
You will spend time on...
- Defining and developing our monitoring systems
- Designing and practicing disaster recovery plans
- Scaling our infrastructure to meet the demand of hundreds of thousands of clients
- Investigating and evaluating new technologies
- Collaborating with the team to design internal tooling
- Participating in on-call rotation
- Take pride in your work and are passionate about good code
- Enjoy thinking about queuing theory and latency percentiles
- Have a methodical approach to metrics and optimization
- Have experience with Linux operating system internals (e.g., filesystems, system calls) and networking (e.g., TCP/IP, routing)
- Are interested in relational databases
- Are proficient in at least one mainstream programming language
- Are familiar with managing AWS infrastructure
- Are an excellent communicator, fluent in English
- Have a good internet line available so you can join a video call without trouble
- Are comfortable taking on a project and pushing it to completion without too much management
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
About working at balena
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diverse backgrounds. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather grow than let our assumptions get in our way.
We're delighted to hear about you! Send us your CV, with a focus on what you can bring to the team.