Balena's mission to unlock the potential of physical computing by removing friction for IoT fleet owners. We believe that edge computing is the next major computing paradigm, and every new computing paradigm needs a scalable development platform to match. We're building that platform with a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications for IoT and the Edge.
Our software platform helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our toolkit ever since. Our core product is the balenaCloud platform, but we also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage. We've also recently released our first hardware product, the balenaFin.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from robotics, drones, smart buildings, 3D printing, agriculture, medicine, and more. Our investors include OpenView, Threshold Ventures, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company We rely on clear communication and the rule of "assume positive intent" to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. As an organization, we have little hierarchy, and organize as needed to build complex features and solve big problems.
On being a Frontend Engineer at balena
- Actively invest back in our own technology, libraries, and frameworks
- Understand security best practices and strive to apply them in your work
- Be highly motivated to produce great code
- Evaluate customer requirements and other inputs to determine the scope and timing of new functionality
- Push for delivering delightful user experiences
- Closely collaborate with our UX/UI designers
- Move between all major operating systems to ensure we provide consistent experiences
- Unify how balena builds user interfaces, and actively contribute to Rendition, our shared GUI/CLI components toolkit
Need to have:
- Desire to make yourself and others more effective. You'd be bothered by an inefficient process
- Good understanding of software engineering practices and how to apply them
- Excellent written communication skills, and fluency in English
- Self-discipline to take on a project and push it to completion without too much management. You also know when to ask for help
- Experience with Node.js
- Experience building single-page applications with React, or any similar modern framework
- Understanding of the command-line interface
- Understanding of backend systems and how they interact with front-end applications
Nice to have:
- A sample of your work (URL or attached sample)
- Contributions to OSS projects (please include a URL)
- Having worked remotely before
- Experience with balena as a user
- Experience with embedded GNU/Linux, anything ranging from personal projects with a Raspberry Pi to commercial or industrial scenarios with custom devices
- Experience with Angular.js v1
- Experience with Docker
About working at balena
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diverse backgrounds. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather grow than let our assumptions get in our way.
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
We're delighted to hear about you! Send us your CV, with a focus on what you can bring to the team.