Seattle Office Manager / Team Coordinator
Balena provides a software platform that helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our IoT toolkit ever since. We also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from drones, 3D printers, point-of-sale devices, tidal turbines, skyscrapers and more. Our investors include DFJ, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company with a pretty much flat hierarchy. Our organization is adaptive, getting feedback signals from our users and systems. Right now we organize ourselves by projects, which allow us to build complex features and solve big problems, while staying mutable. As a distributed group, we rely on clear communication and the rule of "assume positive intent" to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. Our base of operations are nominally London and Seattle, though we live all over the world: from Barcelona to Bulgaria, Argentina to Vietnam, and beyond.
We are looking for a friendly, motivated, and detail-oriented Office Manager / Team Coordinator to help keep our Seattle office and team running smoothly. You’ll help maintain a positive and productive work environment, and facilitate the flow of information and materials between offices, team members, partners, customers, etc. . This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic team at a fast-growing tech startup, and there is room to grow beyond office management for candidates interested in becoming involved in the operations of the company.
If you are fascinated by technology and innovation, brilliant at multitasking and prioritization, ready to tackle new challenges on a daily basis and enjoy working in a fast paced environment alongside bright and energetic individuals - we would love to meet you!
- Manage all inbound and outbound packages and correspondence. We receive and ship many items from our Seattle office each week.
- Lead the effort to keep the office organized and implement solutions for tracking and storing the large amount of hardware and materials our team works with
- Keep the office well-stocked with supplies, food, and drink and generally help make it a positive and productive place for the team to work
- Be the main point of contact with our office landlords and local vendors
- Help coordinate when the team attends or hosts local events such as workshops, hackathons, and conferences
- Help manage calendars, communication, and travel for the C-level team members based out of the Seattle office
Need to have:
- Based in Seattle and able to regularly work from our Capitol Hill office
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Able to multitask and re-prioritize on the fly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to think creatively to solve complex problems
- Flexible and adaptable to changing needs and environments
- Interest in finding new tools and creating new processes to improve efficiency
- Proactive self-starter, able to anticipate the needs of the office and team
- Incredibly high degree of professionalism and trustworthiness
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Nice to have:
- Interest in technology and startups
- Prior experience in office management, team coordination, and/or administrative work, particularly with small and fast-growing companies
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
ABOUT WORKING AT BALENA
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diverse backgrounds. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather grow than let our assumptions get in our way.
We're delighted to hear about you! Send us your CV, with a focus on what you can bring to the team.