Technical Sales Lead / Sales Engineer (Europe)
Balena's mission to unlock the potential of physical computing by removing friction for IoT fleet owners. We believe that edge computing is the next major computing paradigm, and every new computing paradigm needs a scalable development platform to match. We're building that platform with a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications for IoT and the Edge.
Our software platform helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our toolkit ever since. Our core product is the balenaCloud platform, but we also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage. We've also recently released our first hardware product, the balenaFin.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from robotics, drones, smart buildings, 3D printing, agriculture, medicine, and more. Our investors include OpenView, Threshold Ventures, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company We rely on clear communication and the rule of "assume positive intent" to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. As an organization, we have little hierarchy, and organize as needed to build complex features and solve big problems.
On being a Technical Sales Lead or Sales Engineer at Balena
We run sales like we run engineering. While closing deals is important, we’re more interested in helping customers succeed with balena and solving their technical challenges. We’re also a process-driven team and work to make our sales process as efficient as possible.
We mostly focus on inbound sales for now, understanding the needs of potential customers, helping them discover what about balena is most helpful for them, onboarding them to our platform, and ultimately helping them grow their business and scale their IoT fleets. We succeed when our customers succeed. This will be a full-time role.
- Identify and nurture leads from our user base, inbound requests, events, etc.
- Engage with potential customers and guide them through their evaluation of balena by providing demonstrations, answering technical questions, and explaining how balena can address their specific needs
- Maintain relationships with existing customers, help them continue to grow with balena, and take ownership of expansion, renewal and upgrade opportunities
- Manage extended customer projects (such as an enterprise proof of concept)
- Develop tools and methods for improving process efficiency and automation
- Focus primarily on leads and customers in Europe
Need to have:
- Ability to understand and empathize with customer needs and requirements, and work directly with customers to address those needs.
- Willing and able to learn complex technical subjects and develop a deep understanding of the balena platform.
- Equally skilled at presenting to business executives and engineers.
- Highly organized, able to handle many threads at once, and keep things moving - you’ll be interacting with many different customers on any given day.
- Ability to navigate the sales process within organizations ranging from small startups to large multinationals.
- Self-motivated and able to drive results without too much management.
- Desire to make yourself and others more effective. You’re always looking for ways to improve the process.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and fluency in English.
- Based in Europe and willingness to travel locally.
Nice to have:
- Technical or engineering background
- Experience with balena-related technologies (e.g. Docker, Linux, IoT devices like the Raspberry Pi)
- Experience working with IoT companies
- Understanding (and healthy skepticism) of sales processes and best practices
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location - this year in October
- We send you hardware for side projects!
About working at balena
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diverse backgrounds. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather grow than let our assumptions get in our way.
Send us your CV and cover letter, with a focus on what you can bring to the team. Please include a paragraph in your cover letter about how you think sales leads / engineers can best help customers succeed, with examples if possible.